Thursday, November 19, 2009

On the Shoulders of Giants

Saltar al español

Today I got carried away by an illustration I'm working on, so I'm a little behind on today's article, but I didn't want to move the day again because the name of the column wouldn't make any sense, so here we go.

I've been looking at the books I bought with Frazetta's art a lot these days, and I'm more suprised each day with his illustrations, he has some things that I've yet to see on other artists, and that's pretty impressive having in mind the thousands of people that imitate his style, I'm certainly studying his works myself to see what I can use.

Nonetheless, a lot of the editors of the books by Frazetta write things like “his legions of imitators”, “stop trying to imitate Frazetta's paintings”, “there's just one Frazetta”, while all of this is true, I find it very odd, why do they think I bought the books?, even without paying too much attention one is influenced by the artists one admires.

In this cases I remember a lot of sayings, one by Picasso specially caught my attention “good artists copy, great artists steal”, obviously this is a little extreme, but stealing an interesting characteristic, a color palette and making it your own isn't something bad, of course you have to try to stand out, create a style, etc, but there are a lot of good things that can just be learned by practice, this is why in a lot of art schools the students go to the museums to copy famous paintings, by doing it they learn a lot better than just by observing.

By now is obvious that every artist should have an identity, and this identity is more clear in some people, but that doesn't mean you can't get to that point in different ways, during my trayectory I've wanted to work like a lot of artists, at first I really liked the style of some mangakas or certain anime, I think Kenshin kindled my love for japanese graphic; I then try to imitate some comic artists, specially the ones that worked on Batman; and now I really like some artists that work for Magic, like Kev Walker or Jeff Miracola. I don't think this is wrong or it's simple imitation, thanks to the first I fell in love with Ukiyo-e, North American comics are perfect to learn anatomy, besides Batman has a great use of perspective, and Kev Walker's way of using color and his character designs are just spectacular.

All this “imitation” forges us as illustrators, I've listened that one doesn't find his illustration style, but the style finds you, I don't totally agree with this but I can say that not every decision you make as an artist is conscious.

So just go copy Frazetta or any other artist you like really, there aren't enough Frazetta's around anyway.

Questions or suggestions?

Drop an email to contact@bananaorange.com
--------------------------
Spanish

Sobre los Hombros de Gigantes

Hoy me entusiasmé bastante con una ilustración en la que estoy trabajando, así que retrasé escribir lel artículo de hoy, eso si, no quiero correr el día porque el nombre de la columna ya no tendría sentido, así que aquí vamos.

He estado mirando mucho los libros de Frazetta que compré, y cada vez me sorprendo más con sus ilustraciones, tiene cosas que aún no le he visto a mucha gente, y eso que siempre hay miles de personas que imitan su estilo, ciertamente estoy estudiando sus trabajos yo mismo para ver que puedo rescatar y ocupar.

Sin embargo, muchos de los editores de Frazetta escriben en los mismos libros “sus legiones de imitadores”, “dejen de intentar pintar como Frazetta”, “solo hay un Frazetta”, mientras todo esto es verdad, me parece extraño, ¿para qué creen que uno compra los libros?, incluso sin poner demasiada atención uno es influenciado por los artistas que admira.

En estos casos recuerdo muchos dichos, me llamó mucho la atención uno de Picasso “los buenos artistas copian, los grandes artistas roban”, obviamente es un poco extremo, pero robar una característica interesante, una paleta y hacerla de uno no es algo malo, por supuesto hay que intentar resaltar, crear un estilo, etc, pero hay cosas buenas que solo se pueden aprender por práctica, por lo mismo en muchas escuelas de arte los alumnos van a los museos a copiar los cuadros famosos, al hacerlo los interiorizan mucho mejor que al solo observarlos.

Claramente cada artista debería tener una identidad, y en algunos esa identidad es mucho más notoria que en otros, pero eso no significa que no se pueda llegar a ella de distintas maneras, durante mi trayectoria he querido dibujar como muchos artistas, al principio más en el estilo de algunos mangakas o cierto anime, creo que Kenshin inició mi amor por la cultura japonesa; luegoquise imitar dibujantes de comics, especialmente de Batman; y ahora me gustan muchos artistas que trabajan para Magic, como Kev Walker o Jeff Miracola. No creo que esto esté mal ni sea simple imitación, gracias a lo primero me enamoré del mundo del Ukiyo-e, los comics norte americanos son perfectos para aprender anatomía, además Batman siempre tiene un manejo de la perspectiva especialmente bueno, y Kev Walker maneja del color y diseño de personajes de una manera espectacular.

Toda esta “imitación” nos va forjando como ilustradores, he escuchado que uno no encuentra su estilo sino que el estilo lo encuentra a uno, no estoy totalmente de acuerdo con eso, pero si puedo decir que es cierto que no todas las decisiones que uno toma como dibujante son conscientes.

Así que salgan a copiar a Frazetta o cualquier otro artista si quieren, no hay suficientes Frazettas en el mundo de todas maneras.

¿Preguntas o Sugerencias?

Envíen un email a contact@bananaorange.com


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment