Thursday, October 8, 2009

Using References

Saltar al español

In the past article Lighting and Color I mentioned how I keep a growing colection of visual references in my computer, I have thousands of folders with illustrations, but also photos of places, peoples, weapons, etc. All these are images that I used and keep using when I work.

I think the subject of using references is worth mentioning, when I was little I thought that looking at other images while drawing was cheating, I almost felt like copying, and I don't think I know anyone who hasn't felt the same. But through the years I've realized how ridiculous this notion is, you'd need an amazing memory to remember every detail about every thing, with all the animal species, plants, objects and other things, while also having in mind how they change with the lighting, materials, etc. it's just an impossible task.

Nonetheless I discovered a new way to look at references, I was reading the book “Creating Characters with Personality” by Tom Bancroft, when I read a passage by J. Scott Campbell, that had been invited to collaborate in the book. He explained how he owned a collection of movies that he sees when creating an illustration, a lot of times the movies give certain details about the characters that can't be appreciated in an image, the attitude, way of speaking, personality, etc.

This reminded me something Jon Schindehette mentioned in Art Order (although I couldn't find the exact page). “An artist first draws what he knows, then draws what he sees, and finally draws what he feels”.

Thinking about it, I was stuck at drawing what I saw, maybe I took som small steps towards drawing what I felt, but it wasn't a thing of just doing it, steps have to be made one at the time, it's important to have a style and sufficient technical prowess, once you have that communicating the message takes more importance.

Once you try to communicate a message through the illustration everything can help, the colors clearly denote different emotions, the same with brush stroked, composition, etc. I'll certainly try to advance more towards that aspect in my next illustration.

Now, to see some movies!.

Questions or suggestions?

Drop an email to contact@bananaorange.com
--------------------------
Spanish

Usando Referentes

En el artículo pasado de Iluminación y Color mencioné como mantengo una creciente colección de referentes visuales en mi computador, tengo miles de carpetas con ilustraciones, pero además fotos de lugares, gente, armas, etc. Todas imágenes que utilizé y sigo utilizando cuando trabajo.

Creo que el tema de los referentes es algo importante de mencionar, cuando era más chico pensaba que mirar otras imágenes mientras dibujaba era hacer trampa, casi lo sentía como copiar, y no creo conocer a nadie que no haya sentido algo parecido. Pero a medida que uno se va desarrollando en este oficio se da cuenta de lo ridícula que es esta noción, habría que tener una memoria prodigia para recordar cada detalle de cada cosa, con todas las especies animales, plantas, objetos y muchas otras cosas que hay, además de como cambian con la iluminación, materiales, etc, es simplemente una tarea imposible.

Sin embargo hace poco abrí los ojos ante una manera distinta de ver los referentes, estaba hojeando el libro “Creating Characters with Personality”de Tom Bancroft, cuando leí un pasaje de J. Scott Campbell, que había sido invitado a colaborar en el libro. Él explicaba como tenía una colección de películas que miraba cuando creaba una ilustración, muchas veces las películas daban ciertos detalles acerca de los personajes que no se podían apreciar en una imagen, actitud, manera de hablar, personalidad, etc.

Esto me recordó mucho a algo que mencionó Jon Schindehette en Art Order (aunque por más que busqué no pude encontrar la página exacta). “Un artista primero dibuja lo que sabe, luego dibuja lo que ve, y finalmente dibuja lo que siente”.

Por más que lo pienso estaba atascado en dibujar lo que veía, aunque quizás si daba tímidos pasos hacia dibujar lo que sentía, aunque tampoco creo que sea cosa de simplemente hacerlo, como son pasos uno debe pasar por todos ellos, primero es importante tener un estilo propio y la habilidad técnica suficiente, una vez que se tiene eso la comunicación del mensaje toma más importancia.

Una vez se trata de comunicar un mensaje mediante la ilustración, todo puede ayudar, los colores claramente denotan distintas emociones, así como pueden hacerlo los pincelazos, composición, etc. Ciertamente intentaré dar más avances en ese aspecto en mi siguiente ilustración.

Ahora, ¡a ver películas!.

¿Preguntas o Sugerencias?

Envíen un email a contact@bananaorange.com


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment